During study :
Students may work over the same period as the residence permit. They do not need a special work permit. International student in Sweden are allowed to work as many hours as they can but it is advisable to give 40 hrs per week on study ( reading and assignments) .
Working after study :
Students can apply to extend their residence permit for up to six months to search for a job or start a company, and if they receive a job offer meeting certain conditions they can then apply for a work permit.
Residence permit upto 6 months ( for employment or to start your business) or Post study work visa:
To get a residence permit you have to
- have a passport that is valid for the whole of the period you intend to be in Sweden
- have had a residence permit for higher education that has lasted for at least two terms
- have completed your studies
- apply for a residence permit while you are still in Sweden
- plan to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business
- be able to support yourself during the period for which you are applying for
- have full health insurance if you are not registered in the population register in Sweden.
Work Permit :
If you are offered a permanent job, you can apply for a work permit in Sweden.
In order to apply for a work permit without leaving the country you should
- have a residence permit for studies at a university or university college, or residence permit to seek employment in Sweden
- apply for a work permit before your residence permit expires
- have completed at least 30 credits or one semester of postgraduate studies in Sweden.
Permanent Residence or Long Term Residence Permit :
To be granted long-term resident status, you must
- have lived continuously in Sweden for five years
- have had a residence permit (work permit) for the last five years
- have a permanent residence permit
- and your family are able to support themselves.
If you have had a Swedish residence permit for, for example, studies or for a visit, you cannot count this period of time. That is because this type of permit is granted for a limited time, not to those who wish to live in Sweden.