How can I apply to Canadian Universities ?
It is always recommended that you plan ahead for studies abroad. As an international student, you ought to start preparing at least a year ahead, to keep up with the pace of international applications. Canadian semesters are divided into two major intakes. The first is the ‘Fall’ semester that begins in September, and the next is the ‘Winter’ semester that starts in January. However, there are some universities which have an intake in May. University deadlines for each semester vary from one to another. You must be careful while checking the dates for each university that you intend to apply for. There are colleges with rolling admission policy. They will accept applications for as long as the processing time permits.
English Language Requirements :
International students are asked to show proficiency in English before their applications are considered . An IELTS band of 6.0/6.5 for Undergraduate & 6.5/7 for Postgraduate courses or a TOEFL score of 80 and above for Undergraduate and 90 and above for Post Graduate courses is desirable.
Documents required to make an Application :
- Secondary school reports- Your accomplishments and experience in school, a scoring guide, school/college leaving certificate, all transcripts in English.
- Standardized tests- TOEFL/IELTS scores; Customized English proficiency tests are held for certain universities.
- Letter of recommendation- Furnish a minimum of 2 letter of recommendations from professionals and teachers who have known and worked with you. Your recommender must know you personally and professionally.
- Statement of Purpose- This can be a general SOP. There are business schools who have personalised formats that you may have to use for an SOP.
- Passport copy
- Resume ( for management school applications )
- Work experience ( if applicable)
Ontario universities and colleges application system :-
For colleges and universities in Ontario, your application must come via central application centres. The deadline for application for the Fall Semester of a particular year is the 1 st of March. Any application beyond this date is treated on a first-come- first-serve basis. Again, there are exceptions with certain institutions which accept direct applications.
The application process at Ontario universities: Fill the application form for Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC). You can apply for up to 3 programmes or universities of your choice. Pay a fee of C$95 by the 1st of March.
The application process at Ontario Colleges: You can apply via Ontario College Application Service (OCAS) to 5 programmes or colleges of your choice. A fee of C$65 has to be paid by the 1st of March.
OUAC and OCAS forward your applications to the appropriate institutions. However, you have to submit the necessary documents and supplementary fees to the respective universities on the requested deadlines.
Quebec and rest of Canada
All the application requirements must be submitted to the Registrar’s office of your chosen institutions. Once you receive an official acceptance letter you may apply to the Canadian High Commission for student authorization (Visa). In the case of Quebec, additionally, you need to apply for a Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) from the government of Quebec.